Powered by Blogger.

5 Tips For Your First Move

by - 6:16 PM

I recently had my first big move out of my mums into my own home and although it's only been a couple of months i've already learnt so much and I thought i'd share it for anyone also moving onto the big wide world... If you have any other tips feel free to share them!

Say goodbye to things you don't need-

I'm SO bad at letting go of old or unused belongings and I will always blame it on being a sentimental person but this habit leads to a lot of clutter... Our house is fairly small so we don't really have space for my untouched sparkly dress that I've had since 2 Christmas's ago and I made it my goal to throw out (or give away) any of my unloved belongings. 
    In all honesty this made my move so much easier as I had less stuff to pack, move and find a new home for. It also gave me the chance to have a little bit of a fresh start and let go of old memories and feeling that brought negativity into my life.

Second hand furniture will be a lifesaver-

Before the move I kind of had this idea that my new home would be exactly how I had always dreamed, I would have every detail exactly the way I wanted. However, that costs money and the majority of our money has gone to bills and food. Most of the furniture we have currently has come from family, friends, eBay and Facebook sales pages and although it isn't exactly the furniture we want and a lot of it we have intentions of changing it's practical and made our house feel more like a home. 

Communication is key-

If you're moving in with a partner or a friend communication becomes such an important thing. It makes life run a little bit more smoothly, or at least it does for me- if we have some understanding of who's doing what and when or who's going to buy the next carton of milk so we don't end up with 3 huge cartons than we're definitely not going to use up! 

  It's also really important to talk out your emotions with your housemates, it can create a much more supportive environment and moving can be stressful, so don't let it all build up.

Spend smart-

I have never been under the impression that renting a house is cheap but while sorting the house out I think it really hit us just how expensive this decision was really was and that for the first couple of months we were going to have to be really careful with the money we spend. So aside from buying furniture and decor for the house we've had to take a lil' bit of a step back from the shopping sprees and dominoes pizza nights so we can afford some-what healthy meals and our bills. 

Tidy as you go-

This is something we all had to learn pretty fast. Tidying as you go makes life so much easier and the house feels more like a home when every room isn't filled with dirty dishes. Washing up build up super quickly and by doing it straight away it helps us avoid hour long washing up sessions. realise no one is there to clean up after you.

   I hate the house being a mess or disorganised so this is probably the most important thing to me and it's something i'm still really trying to get the others in my house to practice. It makes life so much easier and keeps everyone feeling pretty positive about their living environment. 

You May Also Like

0 comments